Sil15 – ADM to JDM Taillights mod + Tint

Yeah, these taillights have GOT TO GO! Altezza 90’s style…. Need I say more? Just look at em! The brake light has even melted some of the plastic away!

Image of old S15 taillights
Original taillights when I bought the Silvia

Let’s see what we can do here. To go Yashio’s or some nice Stockie’s … My decision is pretty clear below!

Let’s tint some Stockies!

Image of VHT paint I used
VHT Products

So I bought a pair of ADM S15 taillights for $50 off Gumtree.com.au 😀

Image of materials and stock ADM S15 taillights

What do I need next? – A product list!

  • 1 x can of VHT Nite-Shades
  • 1 x can of Acrylic clear-coat
  • 1 x 1000grit Wet’n’dry Sandpaper
  • 2 x 2000grit Wet’n’dry Sandpaper
  • 1 x Painters Tape
  • 1 x Micro-polish

Before buying the ADM taillight’s I did some digging around the local Silvia and 200sx forum’s and found out that in fact, the ADM light’s are missing a hole for an extra bulb that apparently is included in the JDM variant.

Seen as I could only find ADM stock taillights at the time, I decided to give this a go and just make the extra bulb’s fit.

Image of comparison between JDM and ADM S15 Taillights
ADM / JDM comparison

From the image above, for illustrative purposes you’ll see on the right “JDM” the entire bottom brake light illuminates. However for the ADM model only part of the brake light illuminates.

YET! The ADM taillights are capped off!

Image of back of ADM taillights
Rear of ADM taillights / capped hole

So to fix this most important issue at hand here…. All I needed were the following.

Image of tools I used to modify taillights
  1. Drill
  2. 20mm “from memory” drill bit. You might wanna confirm this first.
  3. Stanley knife
  4. Flat-blade screwdriver
  5. Hot-air gun
  6. Clean rag